Art Museum of Cluj-Napoca
Founded in 1951, the museum incorporated some older collections: a small part of the collection of curiosities, cutlery, furniture and European fine art from the Transylvanian Museum and especially the collection known as the Pinacoteca Virgil Cioflec.
Virgil Cioflec (1876 – 1948), authored monographs dedicated to painters Stefan Luchian (1924) and Nicolae Grigorescu (1925), as well as some published writings about art, and brought together a collection of great significance for the life of interwar Cluj. He donated his Romanian art collection to Cluj University between 1929 and 1930. The Virgil Cioflec Art Gallery opened to the public in 1933, the first Romanian modern art museum in Cluj. Its collection eventually became the core of the present-day museum.
Since 1951, the Art Museum in Cluj has housed works by artists Nicolae Grigorescu, Stefan Luchian, Dimitrie Paciurea, Theodor Pallady, Camil Ressu, Vasile Popescu, and others, arranged over 20 rooms. The exhibition presents works by artists less known in Transylvania in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, namely an important collection of works of great value belonging to the Baia Mare school of painting.
Over the years the museum’s collection grew through transfers, donations and purchases. Works of art were transferred by the Ministry of Culture, from the National Art Museum in Bucharest, and by the local government. A further donation came from the Cluj branch of the Romanian Academy (1971), including important works of art from Transylvania (unknown painters of the 18th – 19th Century) contributing substantially to shaping the collection as it stands.